One Month of Ketogenic Diet - (including my Meal Plans)

Sunday, April 05, 2020

I have finally completed one month of doing the Ketogenic Diet! I will share with you my journey, how I felt and my meal plans as well.


I will tell you that it has been hard. But I survived and happy with the results. I will continue with Keto but without the crazy carb restriction. I am introducing carbs from vegetables and fruits that I like. I am doing home workouts to supplement eating healthy and to continue losing weight.

Here's my Macros before going into Keto


FIRST WEEK


I admit that I had hesitation starting the Keto diet during the Corona Virus outbreak. My first week of meal planning for Keto Diet was already done. I was halfway through the second week of planning when I had jitters.




I was stocking up our house with food in case we go on lockdown and people decided to panic-buy everything. I am ready to start my Keto journey and stocked up on my supplies. I am saying that if worse comes worse, if I cannot get hold of my supplies, I'll eat what food we have.

Below is my actual Week 1 Meal Plan:


Breakfast
Lunch
Snack 
Dinner
Monday
Cream Cheese Pancakes with Bacon and Coffee
Ham and Cheese rolled in Cream Cheese Pancakes with mayonnaise and spinach
Pepperoni with cream cheese
Beef Salpicao with Egg and Shirataake Rice
Tuesday
2 Sunny Side eggs, Tomato, Bacon and Coffee
Tuna Salad in Romaine leaf with 1/2 cup broth
1/2 cup Pork Rinds, 2 Boiled Eggs
Cabbage and Pork Stir Fry
Wednesday
2 egg Omelette with bacon and spinach
Egg Salad with Bacon and Lettuce, 1/2 cup bone broth
12 raw almonds, 50g Cheddar cheese blocks
Ground Beef Stroganoff with Side Salad
Thursday
Cream Cheese Pancakes with Bacon and Coffee
Ham and Cheese rolled in Cream Cheese Pancakes with mayonnaise and spinach
Pepperoni with cream cheese
Beef Salpicao with Egg and Shirataake Rice
Friday
2 Sunny Side eggs, Tomato, Bacon and Coffee
Tuna Salad in Romaine leaf with 1 cup broth
1/2 cup Pork Rinds, 2 Boiled Eggs
Cabbage and Pork Stir Fry
Saturday
2 egg Omelette with bacon and spinach
Egg Salad with Bacon and Lettuce
12 raw almonds, 50g Cheddar cheese blocks
Ground Beef Stroganoff with Side Salad
Sunday
Sausage Cheddar Omelette
Cheeseburger Lettuce Wrap
Keto Cheesecake Cups
Keto Beef Ramen

As I mentioned in my primer post, I decided to spread out my meals and add a time frame. For example, I eat my breakfast at 8 AM, a few minutes after I wake up. My lunch will be at 12NN, the snack is at 3:30 PM and dinner is at 7:30 PM. I eat an early dinner so I can do a 12hour fast between.



The first week is the hardest, but having a well-prepared plan helped. I was always hungry and having carb withdrawals. My breakfasts were heavy enough to last me till lunch. The hardest part was making it through my snack time. It felt like forever.



So what I did to take the mind off my cravings, I did some light exercises. I know it is not advised, but I wanted to make the most of it so I kept my exercise light. I did 15-20 mins sets of simple exercises enough to make my heart rate up and sweat a little. It worked for I was able to make it through snack time.


Macros on doing Keto Week 1 


Early dinner means I have to sleep early. I know I'll crave something if I stay up late. That system worked for me as the first week on Keto went on like a breeze. I was pumped and ready for the second week.

SECOND WEEK


I made a mental note of the dishes that I disliked and the serving portions. I was so strict on my carb count of 12g that my serving size suffered. Some serving sizes are like a joke, barely the size of my palm. Despite that, I still tried new recipes for the second week so I can build a database of meals I like on the Keto Diet.



Below is my actual Week 2 Meal Plan:


Breakfast
Lunch
Snack 
Dinner
Monday
Caprese Casserole
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad 
Keto Cheesecake cups
Leftover Ground Beef Stroganoff with Romaine Lettuce
Tuesday
Keto Bacon and Cheese Sandwich
Cheeseburger with Romaine Bun
Pork Rinds with Bacon Roasted Garlic Dip
Keto Beef Ramen
Wednesday
Bacon, Egg and Tomato
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad
Keto Cheesecake cups
Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Thursday
Caprese Casserole
Spaghetti Ala Carbonara
Pork Rinds with Bacon Roasted Garlic Dip
Beef Shiitake Stirfry with Cauli Rice
Friday
Keto Bacon and Cheese Sandwich
Spaghetti Ala Carbonara
Keto Cheesecake cups
Braised Pork Belly with Shiraatake Rice
Saturday
Bacon, Egg and Tomato
Steamed Pork Cabbage Rolls
Pork Rinds with Bacon Roasted Garlic Dip
Philly Cheesesteak Skillet
Sunday
Bacon and Tomato Omelette
Cauli Rice Balls
Keto Cheesecake cups
Braised Pork Belly Noodles

The second week turned out to be awesome! I had a lot of meals that were tasty and satisfying. An eating timetable helped me a lot for I no longer crave in between my meals.



I used Shiratake Rice and Cauli Rice as white rice substitute. The Asian in me wanted to eat rice at least for dinner. Shiratake Rice was my best option for it is 7cal with zero carbs. The only problem was the texture, it was a bit off for me. I tried Cauli Rice and it was a better alternative, though it gobbles up my carb allocation for the day.

Macros on doing Keto Week 2

One good thing that I noticed is that I already see some changes in my body. My tummy is no longer bloated! The shape of my body is noticeable. I continued doing light exercises, focusing on healing my post pregnancy tummy.

THIRD WEEK


The third week is now a bit harder. I keep on experimenting on new meals while balancing my macros and carb intake. I have used up most of the recipes that have fewer carbs in it, so I am now improvising and doing modifications.



One app that helped me track my macros is MyfitnessPal. It was easy to see an overview of my macros. Most of the dishes that I researched from different websites are also available on the app. It helped a lot with tracking meals.




Here is my actual Week 3 Meal Plan:


Breakfast
Lunch
Snack 
Dinner
Monday
Keto Ham, Cheese and Egg Toast
Cauli Mushroom Risotto
Leftover Cheesecake Cups
Leftover steamed pork Cabbage & Sausage and Cabbage Stirfry
Tuesday
Low Carb Blueberry Muffin
Four Cheese Pesto Noodles
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese, 6 almonds
Keto Noodle-free Lasagna with side salad
Wednesday
Scrambled Egg with Cheese on Bread
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Leftover Steamed Pork Cabbage
Thursday
Keto Ham and Egg Toast
Cauli Mushroom Risotto
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese, 6 almonds
Porkchops al Pastor with Roasted kale
Friday
Low Carb Blueberry Muffin
Four Cheese Pesto Noodles
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Leftover Cauli Rice Balls
Saturday
Scrambled Egg with Cheese on Bread
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese, 6 almonds
Keto Noodle-free Lasagna with side salad
Sunday
Low Carb Blueberry Muffin
Four Cheese Pesto Noodles
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Porkchops al Pastor with Roasted kale

Macros on doing Keto Week 3

I carried over the leftovers from the previous week to this week which made it super easy to meal plan. There are still meh dishes and dishes that turned out awesome. I used shirataki noodles and shirataki spaghetti with these meals as well. I kinda know now how to work with the noodles, but not the rice. The noodles were amazing with creamy pasta dishes and soup noodles.

FOURTH WEEK

As I go in the fourth week, meal planning was starting to get harder and harder. The fear of stores closing down and people panic buying goods has taken its toll now. I was cracking my brains on how to come up with meals that are keto-friendly. Most of the goods in supermarkets are running low.



To make things a bit easier, I decided to introduce some comfort food. Also I sticked to some easy dishes from the previous weeks. I also upped my carb intake to 15g and introduced a few low carb fruits as well.


 

Here is my actual Week 4 Meal Plan:


Breakfast
Lunch
Snack 
Dinner
Monday
Leftover Low carb Blueberry Muffin
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Pork Adobo
Tuesday
Chicharonnes con huevos
Leftover Four Cheese Pesto Noodles
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese and 6 almonds
Beef Shawarma Wrap
Wednesday
Cheese Omelette on Bread
Cauli Mac and Cheese
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Thai Green Curry
Thursday
Chicharonnes con huevos
Avocado, Cucumber and Bacon Salad
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese and 6 almonds
Pork Adobo
Friday
Keto Ham, Cheese and Egg Toast
Broccolli and Cheddar Soup
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Beef Shawarma Wrap
Saturday
Cheese Omelette on Bread
Cauli Mac and Cheese
Cheese Crackers with Boursin cheese and 6 almonds
Thai Green Curry
Sunday
Bacon and Cheese on Toast
Broccolli and Cheddar Soup
Key Lime Cheesecake Bites
Pork Adobo

Macros on doing Keto Week 4

I utilized the leftovers as usual. I am now in the hunt for a Keto Bread recipe that tastes nice. I have noticed that coconut flour on my bread made it more gritty and tasted more of like coconut macaroons. Almond flour still makes the bread a bit crumbly, but tolerable. I also used liquid stevia to toned down the eggy taste on my desserts.


TAKEAWAYS


Ketogenic Diet

I can say that the Ketogenic Diet is an easy solution if you want to lose weight immediately. I am aware that the first week gets rid of the water weight hence the amazing results. I still need to incorporate exercises to tone down my physique.



I can say that the Keto Diet helped me jumpstart my fitness goals. I badly miss fruits and other vegetables that are high in carbs. I also need my dose of Vitamin C in this time of the COVID-19 crisis.


Things I didn't like

One thing that I hate during my Keto Diet journey was how I was super constipated. I was not shocked because my fiber intake was almost non existent. I mostly get my fiber on vegetables. I restricted them due to their carb content, and sticked with fats and protein.


There are some recipes and dishes that I didn't like while doing the Keto Diet. I was experimenting with keto-friendly bread recipes and all of them turned out to be crumbly. If not crumbly, they turn out to be too eggy.


I also got sick with making cheesecakes. They taste fine, but the appeal eventually wore off. I am now experimenting with flan and brownie recipes.


The dishes I tend to make are all on the creamy side, which my husband disliked. So now I am playing around in making our savory Asian comfort dishes. I try to keep them as low carb as possible.


Things I liked

The almonds and cheese snack combo have been my favorite so far, It is easy and low carb. The abundance of good cheese in the region has its advantage.



I maximized the use of cabbage in almost all recipes. I liked cabbage better as compared to broccoli or cauliflower, and even salads. I loved roasted meats under sauteed cabbage or roasted kale. I also managed to like a nice cauliflower fried rice.



Having eggs for breakfast every day was also my favorite. Eggs have been a savior for me coz they keep me satiated through lunch.


Ketogenic Diet has helped me a lot to lose a few weight and see some results. I hated seeing numbers on scale for it is not an accurate measure. So far, after one month on the diet, I am quite happy with my results. I am still on the path to my fitness goals, Keto Diet has helped me jump start it. I have been on a strict keto diet for a month. In the succeeding months, I'll do the Lazy Keto version and relax a little. I am adding fruits and vegetables, upping up my fibre intake. I will still avoid sugar as much as I can and eat whole foods as much as possible.


Have you tried doing the Keto Diet? 
Let's share our tips and tricks in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Featured Post

Unwrapping Joy: The Enticing Charm of Advent Calendars

The holiday season is upon us, and with it comes the magic of Christmas. One delightful tradition that adds to the anticipation and exciteme...